Preparing your home before it goes on the market is key to a quick sale. Your listing agent will be a great guide when it comes to prepping your home, and you likely already know that it's wise to declutter, thoroughly clean, and remove your personal photos or mementos. However, it is also important to keep in mind that buyers may notice some things that you could easily overlook.
Following are five ways to give your home every advantage in the marketplace.
- Apply fresh paint. The exterior of your home is the first thing that potential homebuyers see, so it's important to make sure that your home's curb appeal is in tip-top shape. If you have any spots that need touching up, now is a great time to do that. Applying a fresh coat of neutral paint to interior rooms where there is a bold color palette is always a good decision. While this may seem like a lot of work, it could make all the difference to a potential buyer, since they may not have the same tastes as you.
- Clean screens, windows, and air vents. We sometimes overlook the dirt, lint, and dust that can accumulate in window screens and air vents. Vents can be cleared of dust by using a vacuum, and screens can be removed and sprayed with a hose to remove dirt. Cleaning windows both inside and out can have a big impact, as buyers will want to see the view outside from every room.
- Replace light bulbs. Few things are as prone as dim lighting to make a living space look smaller, so it's always best to spruce up with new bulbs. Be certain to replace any bulbs that are burned out in chandeliers and double-check all bulbs on the exterior as well.
- Fill in the cracks. Wood expands and contracts, which can cause cracks in painted doors and moldings. Filling the cracks with caulking material and repainting will make them disappear and rejuvenate the detailing of your home.
- Pressure wash. Sidewalks, home siding, and porches covered in mold, dirt, and mildew can be a serious eyesore for potential buyers. Take a trip to your local hardware store and rent a pressure washer to boost curb appeal.
Buyers are looking for homes that have been well-kept and are in good condition. When your house is listed for sale, it will be to your advantage to do everything possible to make it stand out from the competition. Hopefully, these tips will give you an edge and ensure a fast sale of your house.
I would love to refer you to a real estate professional who can help you sell your home. I would also enjoy having the opportunity to talk with you about your options for buying a new home. Call me today to set up an appointment, and we will start you on your way to living in your new place.